Without a continuous flow of adequate funds, no nonprofit mission can be realized. We tend to focus on the glamour of the good works nonprofits engage in and accept fundraising as a necessary evil. This, however, is misguided. Fundraising is the very lifeblood of every nonprofit, and the staff charged with the responsibility have a direct cause and effect connection to mission outcomes.
Fundraising in Today’s Competitive Environment
According to the National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCCS), “More than 1.5 million nonprofit organizations are registered in the U.S. This number includes public charities, private foundations, and other types of nonprofit organizations, including chambers of commerce, fraternal organizations and civic leagues.”
Check out our Fundraising tips blogs....
And they are all vying for available donor dollars!
- The nonprofit donor universe can no longer simply be invited to a gala once a year and be expected to commit to your mission alone. 5 million nonprofits have taken to the internet, email, social media, and commercial broadcast and print media to continuously tell their story and ask for support.
- It is no longer sufficient to tell a moving story of need and have donors lining up to support your lofty goals. Everyone tells touching stories and proposes solutions. Donors are no longer moved by good intentions. They want to see results. They are motivated by outcome data. How many people did your nonprofit feed last quarter? How many tons of food were delivered to starving African nations last winter? How many homeless are now in permanent housing?
- Nonprofits can no longer keep a donor’s attention with a fancy annual report. Fundraisers must be continually talking to the donor community through websites, email campaigns, and social media. Outcome data must be communicated in real time to assure donors that your nonprofit is still delivering expected outcomes. In other words, it is no longer sufficient to be aspirational. The well-funded nonprofit must be effective and be able to demonstrate it.
Beyond Galas and Annual Reports
Three fundraising ideas & innovations that have changed the way nonprofits communicate with their donors require the real-time updating of outcome data.
- Peer-to-Peer – Events like walkathons, bikeathons, and fun runs encourage donors to reach out to their friends and family to engage a larger community in their fundraising effort.
- Online Donations – Accepting donations online requires the nonprofit to populate the site with current information on outcomes. Graphs that measure progress toward an annual goal, for example, are very effective motivational tools. Again, real-time outcome metrics are indispensable.
- Crowdfunding – These cyber-campaigns are a great way to engage a large population of small dollar donors. They are inexpensive to create and rely on social sharing. They have the potential to go viral and raise a lot of money.
Only FAMCare’s web-based case management software application integrates intuitive controls for client tracking that bring real-time data productivity metrics to management’s fingertips providing insight into performance, trends, and outcomes. Custom tailored reports built specifically for your agency allow case workers to enter case notes on an individual real-time basis and have FAMCare’s software application collate data into a current outcome progress report that can be immediately utilized in cyber-funding protocols. Welcome to the modern world of nonprofit fundraising.